The Sexton Malt Irish Whiskey launches the world’s first nocturnal cocktail kit, made of ingredients that thrive in the night-time, and designed to be enjoyed entirely in the dark.
- The limited-edition pack-come-sensory experience invites whiskey enthusiasts to enjoy two exclusive cocktails made from ingredients that thrive in the darkness – scientifically-proven to be sweeter than those grown in daylight
- From forced rhubarb to dried mushroom, each ‘Noctail’ kit contains all the nocturnal ingredients needed to create two signature ‘Noctails’ – The Rhubarb Sour and the Umami Old Fashioned
- To get your hands on a limited edition ‘Noctail’ gift set visit The Sexton’s Instagram page and comment with who you’d share your Noctails with
As spring steals away the dark days and long nights, The Sexton Single Malt Irish Whiskey is set to launch the world’s first ‘Noctails’ gift set: a limited-edition cocktail kit containing ingredients grown solely in the dark and designed to be enjoyed in total darkness.
Unconventional and edgy, The Sexton Whiskey satisfies even the most restless of spirits. A single malt to be drunk however you like…even in the dark, it inspires its flock to take the road less travelled and explore spaces and places where others fear to tread.
Inspired by the ‘Dans le Noir’ concept and science that proves ingredients, such as rhubarb, provide a sweeter, richer flavour when denied sunlight* – just like The Sexton itself – the Irish whiskey has developed a 5D home-sensory experience like no other. Through removing the visual cues that influence sensory expectations, it allows the drinker to smell and appreciate flavours better, as well as being more receptive to differences in taste, consistency and texture. ‘Noctails’ provide a truly alternative drinking adventure!
Both the whiskey-curious and those who like to go against the grain are encouraged to turn down the lights and draw the curtains for this once in a night-time elevated cocktail tasting occasion. If they dare!
In celebration of the unconventional and for those whose eccentricity comes so easily, The Sexton’s mischievous team of mixologists have developed a nocturnal-twist on two traditional whiskey cocktails for each pack. Whiskey fans, both new and old, can expect to indulge in the following cocktails:
- The Umami Old Fashioned, a revision of the classic Old Fashioned, containing mushrooms, maple syrup, Angostura bitters and of course, The Sexton Single Malt Whiskey
- The Rhubarb Sour, a midnight-take on The Whiskey Sour, featuring forced rhubarb, organic cinnamon, maraschino cherries and apple cider vinegar.
Whilst sipping on some delicious cocktails that have never seen the light of day, lucky recipients will also be adorned with a host of items to enhance the experience, including a blindfold and QR code linking to a video guide to help achieve ‘Noctail’ mastery. So, strap yourself in, ignore any melatonin urges to go to bed and embrace the darkness as your playground.
For those who wish to join The Sexton’s army of restless souls and be in with a chance of winning one of The Sexton Irish Whiskey’s ‘Noctail’ kits, please visit The Sexton’s Instagram page and tag a friend who you would most enjoy spending the midnight hour with. The competition opens on Thursday 3rd March and closes on Monday 15th March.
- Shiitake Mushroom Infused Sexton Irish Whiskey*
- 10ml Grade A Maple Syrup
- 3 dashes Angostura Bitters
In a chilled rocks glass, add 3 dashes of Angostura and maple syrup. Add in Sexton whisky and an ice ball. Stir briefly for several seconds.
*Shiitake Whisky Infusion
- Combine a pinch of dried shiitake mushrooms in an airtight container with 40ml of whiskey
- Infusion timing and intensity is based on taste. Generally 2-3 days and once strained back into the bottle, refrigerate for later use.
Rhubarb Whiskey Sour
- 1.5 ounces The Sexton whiskey
- 1.5 ounces lemon juice
- 1 ounce rhubarb syrup*
- 1 egg white
- 1 Maraschino cherry for garnish, optional (provided in kit)
Add the whiskey, lemon juice, rhubarb syrup, and egg white to a cocktail shaker with a handful of ice. Shake well and strain into a chilled coupe glass. Garnish with a maraschino cherry and enjoy
- Dried rhubarb (provided in kit, quantities tbc)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (provided in kit) 1 pinch cinnamon (provided in kit)
- 1 pinch cardamom (provided in kit)
Add the rhubarb, sugar, and water to a medium-size pot over medium to high heat, stirring occasionally. Once it reaches a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, and add the vinegar, cinnamon and cardamom. Stir, then let the mixture simmer for at least 30 minutes, or up to an hour. The longer it simmers the more syrupy it will become. Strain into a bottle or mason jar and let it cool to room temperature, then seal and refrigerate.