Thanks to the successful rollout of the vaccine and the recently announced ‘roadmap’, the return of international travel is just on the horizon. Lockdown is sure to be a distant memory while sipping a cocktail in Villa Lena, kayaking at Hutton Brickyards or discovering Japan’s rich culture at The Tokyo EDITION, Toranomon. With locations spanning Europe, Asia and America, the below hotel suggestions are the perfect way to finally indulge that lingering wanderlust.
Villa Lena – Tuscany, Italy
June temperature: 27 °C
Situated amongst the rolling hills of rural Tuscany, Villa Lena is simultaneously a creative residence, agriturismo hotel and holiday destination. Guests are invited to stay with Villa Lena’s creative family celebrating local Tuscan history, culture and food within an environment that offers international artists, writers, designers, filmmakers, musicians, chefs and agricultural experts space to explore and hone their respective crafts.
2021 sees a number of new changes at Villa Lena, including the renovation of its San Michele building at the centre of the estate, a new restaurant concept on site and the introduction of a new retreat programme to allow guests to further immerse themselves in the creative energy of Villa Lena. Aimed at curious, environmentally-minded and adventurous travellers looking to awaken their creative spirit and meet like-minded people, each retreat is a thoughtfully curated experience designed in collaboration with artists and creative organisations who are leaders in their field. Confirmed retreats in 2021 include a Summer Solstice retreat in late June and a print-making retreat in October. Further information on the renovations and restaurant still to be revealed.
- One hour to the south of Villa Lena by car is the ancient city of Siena, most notably home to famous Palio de Siena horse races in July and August, where 10 riders representing each of the city’s wards race bareback around the Piazzo del Campo in an electrifying 90 second race.
- Florence is a only one hour’s drive east from Villa Lena, offering an incomparable wealth of Italian renaissance art and architecture, including the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore and Uffizi Gallery.
- For those with a more contemporary outlook, Italian fashion behemoth’s restaurant Gucci Osteria da Massimo Bottura is also situated in the nearby Florence; for pure foodies, Florence’s Italian food hub Mercato Centrale offers the very best in local cuisine.
- Pisa sits a one hour’s drive from Villa Lena to the west. Known for its Leaning Tower, Cattedrale and Duomo the city is a must-see for any Tuscan newcomer.
- Closer to home, Villa Lena is also a 15 minute walk from the abandoned village of Toiano – a quiet village now only home to cats and a few rumoured ghosts
Hästens Sleep Spa – Coimbra, Portugal
June temperature: 23 °
Opening in April 2021 in the quaint Portuguese city of Coimbra is The Hästens Sleep Spa- a hotel concept entirely dedicated to providing guests with a world-class night’s sleep. Swedish luxury sleep brand Hästens comes with 168 years of experience in the sleep field, so they are extremely excited to announce their first hospitality venture in partnership with Grupo Valor do Tempo. The property’s fifteen unique rooms offer guests the chance to spend the night sleeping on one of the world’s most impressive beds, with a customized pillow selection for the complete Hästens’ experience.
The fifteen rooms at Hästens Sleep Spa combine the classic charm of cultural heritage with modern style and elegance, where the supremacy of sleep is the key. One of the activities guests can join in once they have checked into the hotel is Bed Talks, which is a conversation led by sleep expert Dr. Edie Perry. She discusses various topics that help educate and guide guests to the ultimate sleep experience. Such topics include how the neck should be positioned, the choice of pillow and the lumbar spine should be supported. At the Hästens Sleep Spa, pillows are very important and aid in delivering supreme sleep. Coming in five versions (soft high, medium-high, firm high, medium extra high and firm extra high), these pillows are made of 100% cotton and filled with goose feathers and down.
- Hästens Sleep Spa is located directly next to the UNESCO-listed library Biblioteca Joanina, in Coimbra in the centre of Portugal. With its thousands of books and gold-adorned baroque furnishings, it stands as the main inspiration for the hotel decoration.
- Take a walking tour of Coimbra Old Town. Coimbra’s Old Town is small enough that a self-guided tour will be a breeze. The town is a nice mix of medieval doors and colourful architecture.
The Tokyo EDITION, Toranomon – Tokyo, Japan
Temperature in June: 21 °C
The Tokyo EDITION, Toranomon represents a very delicate balancing act between the refined, elegant, simple and pure approach of Japan’s culture, style and traditions and EDITION’s passion, emotion, sophistication, perpetual subversion of the status quo and desire to break rules to create something entirely new and that has never been seen before. The hotel’s opening hold special poignance for EDITION brand creator and visionary hotelier Ian Schrager, who has been profoundly influenced by and long revered the purity, simplicity, elegance and refinement of Japanese culture and aesthetics. This has become the foundation of his career, evident throughout his work and many projects dating back to Studio 54 in 1977.
Designed in partnership with renowned architect Kengo Kuma–the architect of the Olympic Stadium in Tokyo and many other iconic buildings – the hotel allows guests to experience the essence and spirit of Tokyo without ever having to leave the premises. EDITION is also thrilled to introduce world-renowned, award-winning Michelin-starred chef Tom Aikens to Tokyo, spearheading the hotel’s restaurants. Tom is known for his ability to creatively execute a variety of different cuisines from around the world in an inventive and totally original way.
- With the Olympic Games set to take place in Tokyo in summer 2021, The Tokyo EDITION Toranomon’s prime location is a mere 10-minute journey by car or 20 minutes by public transport to the Kengo Kuma-designed Japan National Stadium
- The Tokyo EDITION Toranomon is located near the metro stations of Kamiyacho, Roppongi-Itchome and Toranomon and steps away from Tokyo’s best neighbourhoods and attractions.
- Whilst offering unobstructed views of Tokyo Tower, the hotel is only a 15-minute walk on foot from the tower itself
Daios Cove – Crete, Greece
June temperature: 28 °C
Set against the visual drama of a secluded bay, Daios Cove Luxury Resort & Villas nestles on a hillside on the beautiful northern coast of Crete. From every angle, the views are sublime: the calm turquoise sea in a quiet cove, spectacular verdant slopes, lush terraced gardens, a yellow crescent of private beach and a wide expanse of azure sky.
Then there’s the interior and exterior design. Showcasing a meticulous reinvention of its Ocean Restaurant and Bar, Deluxe Junior Suites and more for its tenth year in 2020, Daios Cove is minimalist, modern and chic with a carefully curated designer style; and its elegant and sophisticated architecture has been crafted from the natural environment. Sculpted out of the hillside rock, every stone has been traditionally hand-carved and reclaimed. As a result, Daios Cove blends beautifully into its picturesque rural surroundings.
Daios Cove cleverly combines five-star luxury and a select ambience with impeccable, friendly, always accessible service. Guests have a choice of luxury villas, rooms and suites (many with their own private seawater pools), three restaurants, fitness centre, spa and kids’ club. Whether relaxing on the exclusive beach, swimming in the pools, sampling fine cuisine, enjoying first-class service or simply soaking up the unique atmosphere, Daios Cove makes the perfect luxury hideaway — and the ultimate holiday.
- Visit the Knossos Minoan Palace. Located about five kilometres (3.1mi) from Iraklio, Knossos is considered Europe’s oldest city, and its Minoan Palace is a must-see.
- Located in western Crete, Balos lagoon is a must-visit. It is one of the most-photographed spots in Crete. Its exotic scenery, stunning beaches and shallow turquoise waters are what make it a sought-after destination.
WunderLocke – Munich, Germany
Temperature in June: 20 °C
Continuing its European expansion, home-meets-hotel brand Locke will open WunderLocke in South-West Munich in Spring 2021. WunderLocke aims to disrupt the Bavarian capital with a hospitality concept unlike any other in the city, and the first Locke of its kind. The new opening will feature 360 stylish studio apartments, co-working area, meeting and event spaces, workout studio and outdoor heated swimming pool; as well as four food and drink outlets including an urban farm that will supply a farm-to-table concept, and rooftop cocktail bar with panoramic views of the Bavarian Alps.
WunderLocke will be a destination for locals, holidaymakers, and business travellers alike, providing a new creative hub in South-West Munich for the city’s burgeoning undercurrent of artists, creatives and tech entrepreneurs. WunderLocke has been designed by acclaimed studio Holloway Li, which completed Locke’s latest London property, Bermonds Locke, earlier this year. The property’s design-led apartments are peaceful and spacious, and all feature kitchens and seating areas – a hallmark of Locke design. WunderLocke is also home to several suites, which include large dining tables to accommodate dinner parties and business meetings.
- Located just a short walk from WunderLocke is Bahnwarter Thiel, a music venue and alternative cultural centre hosting concerts, theatre, comedy and nightlife events.
- The waves on the Eisbach river at the entrance to the Englischer Garten (park) attract surfers and onlookers from around the world. The spot is famous throughout the world for being the largest, best and most consistent city centre location for river surfing.
- Erected by the Munich-based architect and master builder Jörg von Halsbach in the 15th century, the two towers of the city’s cathedral Frauenkirche are a must-see for any fans of Gothic architecture.
Hutton Brickyards – Kingston, NY, USA
June temperature: 27 °C
Perched on an expanse of uninterrupted waterfront in Kingston, NY, Hutton Brickyards — the new opening slated for Spring 2021 from Salt Hotels and Karl Slovin will be located in the heart of the region’s last architecturally intact brick manufactory. In view of the Rhinecliff Amtrak station, Hutton makes an easy trip for New Yorkers seeking a respite from the city. This summer, guests will come by seaplane, helicopter, boat, train or car — experiencing a romantic sense of arrival.
The property sits upon 73 acres of rolling hills and lush meadows and features panoramic views of the Hudson River. From this vantage point, guests see nearby beach access points for recreation and enjoy sightlines to a former Astor estate.
- The sprawling campus will feature whimsical invitations to fun: An archery range, croquet lawn, firepits and bicycles.
- The beautiful and expansive natural landscape offers one-of-a-kind opportunities for hikes, guided kayak experiences and paddle-boarding.
- Guests will also enjoy outdoor yoga, snowshoeing, cross country skiing, beekeeping and more abound in the neighbouring wilderness and water.
Thompson Hollywood – LA, California, USA
June Temperature: 26 °C
Situated on Wilcox Avenue, close to Hollywood and Vine, Thompson Hollywood will comprise 190 guest rooms, a lobby bar, a signature restaurant and a rooftop terrace and be the first completed project for a newly conceived neighbourhood developed by Relevant Group opening in May 2021.
The rooftop pool, lounge and garden will boast stunning 360-degree views while offering a mixology program to complement any sunset viewing, post-work cocktail or intimate meet-up. Thompson Hollywood will also draw upon the world of old-school Hollywood glamour whilst maintaining a contemporary and stylish approach, Tara Bernerd & Partners will provide the full interior design for what is set to become one of LA’s chicest destinations.
- Take full advantage of the newly completed neighbourhood in Hollywood where new world-class restaurants and electrifying nightlife are at home beside favorite local merchants and restaurateurs and celebrated entertainment landmarks.
- Los Angeles is home to more museums and theatres than any other U.S. City, with many having fabulous outdoor campuses. Start with the famous Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA), the unforgettable Getty Centre in Brentwood and the must-see The Huntington Library, Art Museum and Botanical Gardens.
- You are always an easy and scenic drive to SoCal’s best beaches, small towns, wineries and breathtaking desert landscapes.
The Bodrum EDITION – Bodrum, Turkey
With flight times just a little over three hours from London and June temperatures set to average in the late-20’s, this Aegean utopia is the ideal escape for a summer getaway.
All eyes are on Bodrum, Turkey’s answer to the Cote d’Azur as a flurry of the latest bars, restaurants and fashion-forward artisanal brands are fast making it the place to be. Located on the Tilkicik Bay, The Bodrum EDITION is the area’s most stylish beachfront hotel and has everything a traveller needs – excellent restaurants and bars, plunge pools, private beach, spa, nightclub with a roster of international and local DJ talent and tailor-made experiences, such as late-night moonlit events with Mubi at the beach cinema.
- Visit Etrim Village – a must do to see age old methods and traditional life
- Sunset cruise from the beach